Colyton Holiday Cottages
Colyton is situated in East Devon, 7 miles from the Dorset Border and 1.5 miles from the sea. It’s a small medieval town within a conservation area in the beautiful verdant Axe Valley with the River Coly flowing through its heart. It is surrounded by lovely East Devon countryside, which is recognised as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and fwith a pleasing choice of characterful holiday cottages. Taking a holiday in Colyton provides access to an excellent network of local footpaths through lovely countryside and woodland. This makes Colyton a perfect setting out point for walking, cycling and exploring this corner of Devon with the desirable seaside villages and resorts of Seaton, Beer, Lyme Regis, Sidmouth and (inland) Axminster within easy reach of your holiday cottage.
Looking for more options? - Visit our advanced search.
April Cottage is a Grade II listed thatched holiday cottage situated in the medieval town of Colyton in the Axe Valley on the Devon-Dorset border. The seaside resorts of Sidmouth, Beer, Lyme Regis and the Lyme Bay area are a short drive away. Pets welcome.
3 Bedrooms - Sleeps 6 - View Listing
Colyton is steeped in history. In 1539 Henry VIII ordered the beheading of Colyton’s lord of the manor and confiscated his lands. Twenty local businessmen petitioned and bought the land back and created The Colyton Feoffees which still continues to this day. Colyton is also described as "Devon's Most Rebellious Town" for its part in the Monmouth Rebellion of 1685 where it sent more men than any other Devon town.
Within the towns tiny streets there are interesting thatched and stone holiday cottages from medieval to modern and charming independent shops, galleries, restaurants and pubs. In the centre lies the handsome St Andrews church featuring a distinctive octagonal lantern on the Norman tower.
Seaton Tramway’s narrow gauge heritage trams terminate in Colyton. They go on to stop at Colyford and the coastal resort of Seaton which is a gateway town to the Jurassic Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.